Saturday 18 September 2010

This is an image from a set of Ronald Searle lithographs I acquired called Bouquets garni: Le langage des fleurs. The title of this print is 'Chouchou'. The lithographs were published by Michel Cassé in Paris in 1975, and I bought them from a Scottish dealer a couple of year ago. I'd discovered Ronald Searle's work as an eleven year old in Lancashire on a summer holiday: looking through a stand of books outside Boots whilst waiting for my parents I came across Back in the Jug Agane and was so entranced I spent the whole month's pocket money on this book. My pleasure in Searle's work has not diminished. I'm still impressed by the quality of his line and the economic use of tone, and the way he infuses these with his humour. I enjoy the way Searle's world is such a complete and satisfying one, though not always a comfortable one.

No comments:

Post a Comment