Sunday 1 August 2010



Here's the Banksy I referred to in an earlier post. The 'HRH King Robbo' and white background have been carefully painted over what was a Tesco bag in the original graffiti image. I've since learned that King Robbo is another street artist called  King Robbo, and that he and Banksy have been conducting a feud. I was rather disappointed to learn this, as I quite liked the story I'd invented for myself — of a local Jack-the-Lad sneaking out at night with a bucket of paint and a brush, determined to make his mark on the world, but the only way of achieving it being through appropriating a celebrated Banksy image. And I liked to think of him carefully unscrewing the perspex cover with a quiet snigger and painting in his self-aggrandising nickname with great satisfaction. The idea of two street artists defacing one another's work in a private argument seems a bit drab to me. And it's evidently made the image fair game for other graffiti. I'll be interested to see what happens to this Banksy, as it's the only one I've seen that's had a protective covering added, but also the only one I've seen defaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment