Sunday 15 August 2010

I've just returned from the north of England, where I found this shop in Penrith. Penrith's a handsome town, and I especially liked Arnison & Sons' shop front, unchanged since before the start of the twentieth century I'd guess. I like these Victorian shop frontages, especially where the ornate lettering has survived. London, in the grip of the brisk march of progress, doesn't really possess much like this any more (apart from James Smith & Sons, the umbrella shop on New Oxford Street). What I liked so much about Arnison's was the fact that it blended quite comfortably in with its surroundings  no sign of any self-consciousness about being so unchanging, and quietly radiating confidence  along the side of the shop were large signs advertising Arnison's as a 'high class drapers, silk mercers, hosiers & glovers', and providers of 'linoleum furnishings'. Marvellous.

No comments:

Post a Comment