Sunday 23 January 2011

Here's one of Terence Greer's covers for Penguin. I discovered his work when I was an art student. I used to go to Skoob Books in Holborn to pick up something to read during the evenings, as I was working front of house in the theatres in the West End (this involved lots of sitting around). In the bookshop there were shelves and shelves of second-hand Penguins going back to the 1930s, and I got to know the contents of those shelves pretty well. And these covers by Terence Greer would leap out at me as I browsed. I think they're terrific illustrations. They're simple and effective, drawing attention to the book and giving a sense of the atmosphere of the narrative. Some of Greer's other notable covers are Muriel Spark's The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The Bachelors, Robinson and The Comforters, and Lynne Reid Banks's The L-Shaped Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment