Sunday 20 February 2011

Here's a doorway on Gammel Kongevej in Copenhagen I noticed recently. I love the way the Danish design aesthetic is evident in how it's been graffitied  the pattern of the tags, with a small overspill onto the stonework, and how this is all framed by the handsome, stained doorcase. One of my pleasures when I'm in Copenhagen is to walk around and look up  it's a visual feast, with lots of ooohing and aaahing and much enjoyment in the detail on the buildings. And my enjoyment is also in the shape of this city's streets  it impresses me that an ordinary domestic street, well off the tourist track, will still have a strong coherent design. I really like this generosity of place that Copenhagen has - it's not all in-your-face but fading into nothing once you're off the main streets — there's a confidence of place about it I enjoy. I like the way people are as much a part of this city's aesthetic as its buildings: that group of people on bikes on a street corner, waiting patiently for the lights to change, under the handsome windows of a nineteenth-century apartment building. Copenhagen has a poetry of place  for me its buildings resonate with a rich mixture  of people and events long gone, sitting comfortably alongside all those people busily living there now. It's an attractive place, full of beetling, everyday ordinary life. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment