Sunday 6 February 2011



Here's something made of a great deal of sugar, by artists Pip & PopIt's part of their much larger installation, Sweet, Sweet Galaxy, covering the floorspace at Smiths Row, a contemporary arts space in Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. I really liked this piece — looking at it I felt like Gulliver with the Lilliputians, a giant looking onto an unknown tiny world. And I could feast my eyes on its sugary delicacy, but with an uneasy awareness of my giant stature. At the same time I was one of the Lilliputians, imagining myself down there, hiding under a rainbow bulge, a little inhabitant of this saccharine landscape. So not an entirely comfortable experience. This tension created by the artists  My Little Pony territory tripped up by its own oddness each time you started to look more closely  really worked. Interestingly the two artists, Tanya Schultz and Nicole Andrijevic who work collaboratively as Pip & Pop, are Australians. As I was in Bury St Edmunds with my sister Berenice, who went from there to live in Australia as a fifteen-year-old, this felt like the joining of a circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment